'Great Indian Festival 2019 marks the inflection point for Digital Bharat'
- Over 78,000 sellers receive orders; 50% of these sellers were from small towns; Millionaires and Crorepati sellers now exceed 29,000.
- Customers from 99.4% of pin-codes place orders; 83% of customers who shopped were from small towns.
- Prime is a national phenomenon; members now span 97.3% of pin-codes.
- Customers managed their budget and through affordability programs fueling consumption across the country.
- Nearly 1-lakh seasonal jobs created; further indirect employment in the partner ecosystem of tens of thousands of stores and service partners across 350 cities sharing the festivities.
- Top categories included Smartphones, Large Appliances, Fashion, Grocery, Home & Kitchen; biggest sale ever for Amazon Devices.
Amazon.in witnessed its biggest Great Indian Festival celebration, with sellers seeing record sales across categories during the month long shopping festival starting September 29 and split across three waves each, preceded by a 12-hour Prime Early Access. As per leading research agency Nielsen, Amazon.in witnessed the highest share of transacting customers and purchases across all online shopping platforms this Festive Season*
We are humbled that Amazon.in is not only trusted by customers and small businesses alike, but also becoming an important driver for the new digital economy in the country.
“With 30-days of Great Indian Festival witnessing highest share of transacting customers and purchases spanning 99.4% of pin-codes; over 78,000 sellers from over 520 cities receiving orders; tens of thousands of store and service partners across 350 cities sharing in the festivities; and Prime members now spanning 97.3% pin-codes; this is truly an inflection point for the new Digital Bharat” said Amit Agarwal, Senior Vice President and Country Head, Amazon India. “We are humbled that Amazon.in is not only trusted by customers and small businesses alike, but also becoming an important driver for the new digital economy in the country.”
* Nielsen’s E-Analytics empaneled read of 190k digital/internet users across 50+ cities
Overall scale, reach and customer response:
- Customers from 99.4% of India’s postal codes placed an order during the Great Indian Festival
- Customers loved Amazon.in Hindi recording over 200% increase in new customers coming through Amazon.in in Hindi The site saw a 2.1X increase in traffic and 2.7X increase in unit sales
- Amazon.in delivered to customers in far and remote locations like Parsuram Kund (Arunachal Pradesh), Dibrugarh (Assam), Zemithang (Arunachal Pradesh), Yumthang (Sikkim), Ghastoli (Uttarakhand), Murgo (J&K), Okha (Gujarat), Kovang (Manipur) Dwarahat (Uttarakhand); Gangoh (UP), Tonk (Rajasthan); Palampur (Himachal); Mutlur (Tamil Nadu) Kottarakara (Kerala) & South Bungtlang (Mizoram) among others.
- 27,000 sellers recorded their highest sale day ever during the festive season
- Over 1,500 sellers became millionaires for the first time this festive season
- Newly launched sellers after November last year showed average spike of 1.15X spike in units over an average day
- The top Saheli brand was Swara Creations while Odisha Handloom emerged as the top Karigar brand
- Single largest order was that of Yellow Gold Precious Coins sold by P.N.Gadgil Jewellers
- Of all products, most number of product sold were Candles
- Launchpad brands received close to 1.5X more orders as compared to the last festive season
- Launchpad Millionaire brands were 560 and Corepati brands close to 200
- Bestseller Launchpad brands included Irona Reusable Menstrual Cup for Women, PeeBuddy Flushable and Disposable Paper Toilet Seat Covers, Yogabar Wholegrain Breakfast Muesli, Autofy Habsolite All Purpose Safety Helmet, Nurturing Green Lucky Bamboo, OrganicDews Liquid Seaweed Concentrate for Plants, Intellilens Premium Blue Cut Zero Power Spectacles with Anti-glare for Eye Protection
Customers loved Prime
- Customers from over 89% pin codes joined Prime
- Amazon.in received orders from Prime members from 97% pin codes in India
Budgets did not get in the way of shopping
- EMI was availed across 230,000 different products.
- 4 out of 5 customers who availed EMI, bought products on No-Cost EMI.
- 50% of all appliances and 1 out of 3 smartphones sold were on EMI.
- Over 75% of customers who availed credit were from lower tier towns.
Quotes from our sellers
“This was our first Great Indian Festival experience and we were delighted with the sales which went up by 200%. We saw a great response for our Blue Pottery flower vase and Blue Pottery Tiles. Great Indian Festival has helped us expand our customer base as well, with first time orders from places like Dimapur in Nagaland, Jorhat in Assam & Kottuvally in Kerala.”
- Karigar seller, Sharda Kamavat, Indian Blue Art Pottery
“In this festive season, we delivered consistent growth over our regular months and our highest ever sale on any platform, since we started the brand. As a startup, we have seen month on month growth. Working with Amazon made it possible. We were over the top to bring health and wellbeing to health conscious consumers from more than 50 cities the country. Hope to triple our top line and deliver more quarters of Amazoning sales!”
–Launchpad seller, Deepak Agarwal, The Auric
“It gives us immense pleasure to say that we have witnessed highest no. of orders during this sale in last one year. Lots of new customers & repeated customers, good reviews makes our confidence. With Amazon we really have the potential to reach millions of customers”
- Saheli seller, Monika Agarwal, Swara Creations
Quotes from our Delivery Service Partners
“Here in the Andaman’s, we are overwhelmed to see our customers enjoy the Great Indian Festival. Our delivery station handled significantly higher volumes, our delivery associates’ spirits were up, and the entire team was delighted to deliver smiles to our customers.”
- Sabiha Mulla – Apt Logistics, Delivery Service Partner from Port Blair
“This year we handled even higher volumes compared to the last year’s sale. We have grown multifold with more stations and now have over 350 associates. Amazon helped us prepare for this growth with constant support, because of which we could deliver all the packages on time during the Great Indian Festival.”
- Sunil Khandiya – V Care Services, Delivery Service Partner from Vadodara
“I am the owner of Anusuya Dashakarma Bhandar in Kolkata and have been an Amazon IHS Partner since July 2019. Being with Amazon has given me a chance to utilise my spare time and energy to earn more income and support my family better.”
– Susmita Sil, IHS Partner from Kolkata