Thank you India for opening the ‘khushiyon ka darwaza’ for Bharat
Sellers on Amazon.in witnessed their biggest Great Indian Festival (GIF) bringing happiness to millions of customers across all corners of the country. GIF began on midnight of October 16 with Prime Early Access and opened up for all customers on October 17.
- Sellers from 6,387 pin-codes receive orders; 1 out of 2 sellers see their biggest day of sales; Close to 600 sellers see more than INR 1 crore in sales and nearly 6,500 sellers see more than INR 10 lakhs in sales.
- Bharat shops safely on Amazon.in – orders from 99.3% of India’s pin-codes
- Customers value Prime – Prime members in 98.3% of India’s pin-codes place orders; 3X more customers signed up for Prime during the Festive season* with 3 out of 5 sign-ups from beyond the metros
Truly inspired by the entire @amazonIN team for their phenomenal achievement this festive season, especially through these trying times!— Amit Agarwal (@AmitAgarwal) November 12, 2020
As I continue to doubt my creative skills, thanks to my daughter for coming to the rescue and working on this "Thank You" for the team. pic.twitter.com/XixeS1nMTG
- Customers managed their budget through affordability programs fueling consumption across the country. Credit amount of INR 2,700 crore disbursed through partners
- Top categories were Smartphones, Large Appliances, Fashion, Consumer Electronics, Home & Kitchen; biggest sales ever for Amazon Devices.
- India enjoys voice shopping – Alexa answered over 16MM requests to guide customers to their product searches, best deals, bill payments, music and more on the Amazon shopping app.
With customers from 99.3% of India’s pin codes placing orders on Amazon.in from sellers in over 6,387 pin codes, the Great Indian Festival truly brought festive spirit across the country.
“With customers from 99.3% of India’s pin codes placing orders on Amazon.in from sellers in over 6,387 pin codes, the Great Indian Festival truly brought festive spirit across the country. We added lakhs of direct & indirect jobs and enabled tens of thousands of local stores and service partners across 350 cities who witnessed their most successful business month of the year” said Manish Tiwary, Vice President, Amazon India. “We are delighted and humbled that Amazon.in is not only trusted by customers and small businesses alike, but is also playing a role in helping our partners drive back economic growth in India.”
“We are extremely delighted with our sales that went up by over 20 times this Great Indian Festival. We saw great response for our festive selection, especially Kathputli Diyas, with orders from over 1,400 pin codes. These included places like Shillong, Trivandrum and Silchar where we have never reached before joining Amazon Karigar. Events like Great Indian Festival are a great boost to our craft and help revive the lives of our rural artisan community from Rajasthan” said Jaipur-based Deepak Badaria of JH Gallery.
Overall scale, reach and customer response
- Customers placed orders from 99.3% of India’s pin codes
- More than 90% new customers on Amazon.in came from small towns
- For the first time, customers experienced GIF in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada
Sellers win the season
- Starting with pre-GIF opening for sellers, close to 1.2 lakh small & medium sellers from 6,387 pin codes received an order
- 1 out of 2 sellers see their biggest day of sales this Great Indian Festival
- Close to 74,000 sellers who received an order were from smaller cities such as Chikkaballapur in Karnataka, Virudhunagar in Tamil Nadu, Bijnor in Uttar Pradesh, Moga in Punjab, Ri-Bhoi in Meghalaya, Malda in West Bengal and Navsari in Gujarat
- Close to 600 sellers saw more than INR 1 crore in sales and nearly 6,500 sellers see more than INR 10 lakhs in sales.
- Top selling crafts under Amazon Karigar were Blockprint, Sambalpuri and Rajasthani Kathputli
- Most loved products from Launchpad sellers include Asgard's 3 Layer Protective Face Mask , Dr VAKU Pulse Oximeter, Desidiya Diwali Lights & LED Curtain Lights , Control D Nebulizer
- Popular products by Saheli sellers were dry fruits from Spicy Carte and Jute planter baskets from PartyStuff
- Local shops from 1,000 pin codes received orders this GIF. Most bought products from local shops were Organic India Ginger Tulsi Turmeric Tea, Tata Sky HD Connection and Cooking Oil
(* over a normal business day)
Prime continues to thrill customers
- 3X more customers signed up for Prime during the Festive season as compared to a normal business day, with 3 out of 5 signups coming from beyond the metros from cities & towns like Agra, Bhopal, Dehradun, Gorakhpur, Vijayawada and Kottayam.
- Prime members from 98.3% pin codes of India shopped during the Festive season. Top bought categories by Prime members were Large Appliances, Smartphones, Grocery, Fashion, Beauty, Home and Kitchen and most shopped products were Redmi 9A, Samsung Galaxy M series, Apple iPhone 11, Echo Devices, FireTV stick, boAt accessories, Tata Sampann Poha, Tata Salt, Maggi 2-Minute Noodles and Vaseline Intensive Care.
Customers shopped for everything big and small
Over 1.5 million customers bought a phone from Amazon for the first time. Over 40% customer growth from tier-II and tier-III cities
- India gets ready for 5G – 50% of all premium smartphones being bought on Amazon.in were 5G ready.
- Over 1.5 million customers bought a phone from Amazon for the first time. Over 40% customer growth from tier-II and tier-III cities
- Customers purchased more iPhones in 29 days of the Great Indian Festival than all of last year
- Customers upgrade their work & study from home setup – 10 PC devices (laptops and desktops), 9 routers and 4 printers bought every minute during the festive season on Amazon.in
- New photography trends emerged this year with Drone Cameras, Mirrorless cameras and Vlogging Cameras gaining popularity from top brands
- 120 audio products were purchased every minute. Customers bought enough Bluetooth headphones & speakers in the Great Indian Festival to last 2500+ years of playback in 1 charge and enjoy 336 million+ songs.
- Gaming continues to enthral customers – more than 2 computer accessories bought every minute. Gaming Accessories, Graphic tablets, Playstation, Xbox, Nintendos and virtual reality brand Oculus see stellar growth
- Customers get more environment conscious with 2 out of 3 refrigerators bought being energy efficient
- 99% of all TVs sold this season were smart TVs. One in two TVs sold during GIF were Alexa-enabled Televisions
- Gifting categories grew with favourites being dinnerware, bedsheets, home décor
- Customers filled their shelves with Harry Potter, Tintin and Secret 7 box sets. Newly launched books like Chetan Bhagat’s One Arranged Murder and Jay Shetty’s Think Like a Monk were among the top-selling books
- Customers shopped across Men’s Casual wear tops and shoes, Women Ethnic wear, Kids Apparel, Winter wear, Athleisure, Fashion Jewelry, Smartwatches and Travel luggage
- In Apparel, home essentials like t-shirts, innerwear, sleepwear shorts, Women kurta, Sarees, Men’s ethnic, Smartwatches, Travel luggage, Women Sandals, Jewellery were the popular products during the festive period
- Customers purchased Gold coins, Gold pendants, Earrings, Rings, Necklaces and more this festive season
- Customers showed their love for Designer Boutique. RIVER - a newly launched, affordable, multi-designer brand created in partnership with some of India’s most celebrated designers - JJ Valaya, Ashish Soni, Suneet Varma & Manish Arora popular this GIF
- Customers bought on average 4 units per second from Grocery category during GIF.
- 1 in 2 Philips Trimmers sold across the country were bought on Amazon.in. More than 1 MM families turned festive-ready with grooming devices bought during the GIF
- Customers follow their hearts – 28 Smartwatches & Fitness bands and 8 Musical Instruments bought every minute in Great Indian Festival 2020
- More than 1 MM kids in India got their favorite toys as Diwali gifts from Amazon.in this year
- Amazon Echo range of devices deals and smart home bundles emerged as the customer favourite this festive season. Echo Dot was among the top 20 products bought on Amazon.in
- Over 50% of the customers who bought any Amazon Echo device also bought an Alexa compatible smart home device like a smart bulb or the Amazon Smart Plug
- Over 50% of Echo, Fire TV and Kindle buyers came from non-metro cities such as Coimbatore, Faridabad, Ludhiana, Patna
- With a 4.3 star rating, the new Fire TV Stick and Fire TV Stick Lite were popular among customers
- Alexa answered over 16MM requests to guide customers to their product searches, best deals, bill payments, music and much more on the Amazon shopping app.
- In the run up to the event and during the Great Indian Festival, Alexa addressed over 300K requests on the Amazon shopping app (Android only) to help customers navigate to their favourite stores such as the SMB Store, Fun Zone, Great Indian Bazaar, deals and gifting store
- Customers using Alexa to pay bills or phone recharges increased to 2.6X compared to an average business day during the Great Indian Festival versus an average business day
- Using Alexa on Echo devices, customers placed 24X more orders per day for products like smart blubs, smart plugs and more compared to an average business day
- On the Echo devices, Alexa addressed over 3 requests per minute on festival and puja related queries during Durga Puja and Navratri
- 1 in every 6 smartphones sold during the Amazon Great Indian Festival had Alexa built-in
- Alexa built-in smart speakers, hearables and TVs were a big hit during the Great Indian Festival. Customers loved offerings from brands like Sony, Samsung, LG and boAt
Customers could afford more and saved big
- Customers saw offers on cards by 6 top banks & issuers (HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, Citibank, Kotak Bank and SBI Cards) and 1 payments network (RuPay). Through these 7 partners, more than 35 crore Credit and Debit cardholders in India got access to offers
- More than half the customers who shopped in GIF, used a Credit or Debit Card from the respective partner banks to avail a 10% discount
- This festive season Amazon made shopping affordable by offering EMI options across 24 banks.
- Credit amount of over INR 2,700 crore was disbursed by partners with over 1,40,000 New to Credit Customers
- 3 out of every 4 EMIs were no cost EMI
- Every 2 out of 5 Shoppers had access to credit through products like Amazon Pay Later, Debit Card EMI, Credit Cared EMI and NBFC EMI.
- 3 out of 4 EMI shoppers came from Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.
- 2 out of 10 mobile phones, 4 out of 10 ACs, 3 out of 10 Laptops, 3 out of 10 Refrigerators, 2 out of 10 TVs and 3 out of 10 Washing Machines were bought by customers on EMI
Quirky flavours of the Great Indian Festival
- Customers bought as much body lotion this GIF to fill over 220 Olympic-sized swimming pools
- 8.9 crore babies had a peaceful night’s sleep thanks to diapers bought on Amazon.in this GIF. That’s ~55 times Goa’s population
- Customers bought enough food to feed 90 lakh dogs a meal.
- All the dishwashers bought on Amazon.in this GIF can wash over 80,000 utensils at one go
- Customers bought enough mattresses to cover an area equal to 10 Eden Garden cricket grounds.
- The number of office chairs bought on Amazon.in is equivalent to opening over 1,100 mid-sized offices.
- Customers bought enough Jewelry to outweigh the Ballaladeva statue in Bahubali movie.
- The number of shoes bought this GIF would be equal to the weight of 9 Boeing 747 aircrafts. Running shoes, Fashion Sandals, Clogs, comfort footwear were popular this GIF
- Customers looked for ways to entertain themselves and keep healthy with Treadmills, Exercise Weights, Auto tools, Gardening equipment and Barbeque grills being popular
- Customers bought enough light bulbs to power Chinnaswamy Stadium for 7 years, hosting a match every night
- Total number of pens bought this festive season could write for enough distance to cover two round trip journeys to the moon.
- Fulfilment Centres (FC) in India operated with a total build space of over 20 cricket stadiums to serve customers this GIF. Total selection in these FCs could fill 165 football fields!
- On our busiest delivery days, we sourced 60% of total cargo freighters in India to deliver packages
- Delivery associates travelled a distance equivalent to 960 times around the world in the last 10 days to deliver customer orders! Packages that travelled across the length and breadth of the country this festive season were equal to the weight of over 10,000 elephants.